Alignment of education documents issued abroad

I received my higher education outside Latvia, what should I do?

If you were educated abroad, you must have your education documents formally aligned. This will help you to continue your education in Latvia or enter the labour market. In our country, you can do this at the Academic Information Centre. This is a paid service.


Depending on the purpose of the recognition, the recognition of evidence of education is divided into:

How to align documents?

An application for alignment can be submitted by the holder, educational institutions, public authorities, employers or professional organisations. The application for academic recognition shall be submitted by the educational institutions.

The application can be submitted in person at the Academic Information Centre or sent by e-mail to [email protected] signed with a secure electronic signature with the following documents:

1. Application (in Latvian).

2. A copy of an identification document.

3. A copy of the document proving the change of name if the name in the education document and in the identity document are different.

4. An educational document (diploma, certificate, attestation, etc.) and its annex (transcript of results).


When submitted in person, the application shall be accompanied by copies of the documents listed in paragraphs 2, 3 and 4, showing the originals.

Electronic documents and copies of documents must be clearly legible, derived from the originals and reflect the entire document.

If necessary, the Academic Information Centre may request translation of documents into Latvian or another official language of the European Union and/or their legalisation.

Academic Information Centre
More information: see here
Academic Information Centre
Contact us!
+371 26959706 (I 8.30-18.00 II-IV 8.30-17.00 V 8.30-16.00)
+371 26959706 (Whatsapp)
Raiņa bulvāris 15, Rīga